2023 RPG crawl. Life goals.

 

What my bookshelf might look like after 2023

[2 min read]

I love D&D 5E, and I really look forward to the next Friday session with my friends every two to three weeks. We are lucky to have three different DMs (myself included), and so whenever one needs time for prep, or we reach a natural spot to pause, we can focus on a different campaign with a different DM. It does mean we haven't finished a campaign yet (in almost two years of play) but the group is making consistent progress and most importantly, having a ton of fun along the way.

Two to three weeks between sessions is a long time in between drinks, as it were, so I occupy myself by reading and watching a ton of content from my favourite creators, but also indulging my interest in different systems outside of D&D. I love game mechanics, especially role-playing systems, and one day I'd love to be in a position to author, contribute to, or fund a creative endeavour in the video game, board game or tabletop RPG space. That's a bucket list item that is a long way off!

The goal

So what can I do in 2023 to bring me closer to that goal with my (limited) free time between games? I'd like to explore a range of different RPGs, to see if there are distinctive mechanics that appeal to me, with the intention of adapting these to my own D&D 5e campaign if possible. 

The approach

Given it would not be possible to run or play in a campaign for each of the main tabletop games on my list, here is how I am thinking of approaching this mission... quest... thing.
  1. Read the core rules (most of which I will buy as a PDF from DriveThruRPG rather than the physical books)
  2. Watch some live-play content (especially solo play, such as the excellent Me, Myself and Die)
  3. Play a solo mini-campaign or try and find a one-shot on StartPlaying Games
  4. Debrief with a blog post outlining my impressions and what elements I might adapt to my D&D game
For a look at my first experience dabbling outside of D&D, check out my The One Ring 2nd Edition impressions!

The hit list

Here are the RPG systems that have piqued my interest, so far:
  • Lord of the Rings Roleplaying (5e adaptation of The One Ring)
  • Savage Worlds
  • Ironsworn
  • Forbidden Lands
  • Blades in the Dark
  • 13th Age
  • Dark Souls RPG
  • Shadow of the Demon Lord
Thanks 2022 - I've had a ton of fun with D&D 5e. Now bring on 2023 and my hex-crawl through D&D adjacent RPGs!




Comments